Bellew promises Usyk “rude awakening”

Tony Bellew (right) will start as underdog at Manchester Arena against Oleksandr Usyk who has so far won all 15 of his professional bouts

Tony Bellew has allegedly promised that unified world cruiserweight champion, Oleksandr Usyk will get a “rude awakening” when they both clash.

Bellew has further made a vow that Usyk will regret having an eye on Anthony Joshua instead of having concentration.

JOIN TO GET A FREE BET (@ENIBET)
I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 200,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and FREE gifts daily.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

The Briton has also insisted Usyk will suffer if he is already thinking of a fight with heavyweight champion, Joshua.

Bellew, 35, goes into battle with the Ukrainian who holds the IBF, WBA, WBO and WBC cruiserweight titles on Saturday.

And prior to this weekend, the 31-year-old Usyk knows he is likely to move up to heavyweight after the bout.

“He is another fighter who wants to get through me to the king, AJ, he is another who will fail.” Bellew said.

“I believe he is under-estimating me and already asking promoters which heavyweight he will get to face after this.

“He is in for a rude awakening and when I hit him for the first time, he will feel it.” Bellew stated.

Bellew, meanwhile, enters what is set to be his last bout following two victories in a row against David Haye.

The latter is another fighter who had been targeting heavyweight title shots before ultimately retiring for good earlier in 2018.

Meanwhile, the Liverpudlian had informed BBC Radio 5 live’s boxing podcast that he had gone into “retirement” from the sport.

That was until Usyk called him out after clinching the World Boxing Super Series to seal all four cruiserweight belts.

“It is a dream and my life achievement would have been to get near these belts.

“And I am gong to win all four of them,” Bellew added.

“Whether I retire or not, it has to happen and I am going to find a way,” the Briton summed up.

Bellew sees return of convicted boxers as “absolute disgrace”

Tony Bellew has allegedly revealed that he actually sees the return of convicted boxers as nothing but an “absolute disgrace”.

Bellew says it saddens him to see such boxers convicted of doping getting permission to come back after serving bans.

He made this observation prior to the clash between Anthony Joshua and Alexander Povetkin which took place in September.

And Bellew has further gone on to predict that a fighter will “die at the hands of a drug cheat”.

“It should not be even taking place,” fellow British fighter, Bellew said.

Povetkin who is the 2004 Olympic super heavyweight champion first tested positive for meldonium in May, 2016.

After which he suffered a ban from the sport indefinitely when he failed a second drugs test a year later.

When he first failed the test, Povetkin said he had stopped taking meldonium in 2015 before becoming a banned substance.

In November of the year 2017, the 39-year-old’s ban came doen to twelve months.

And Bellew who is the former WBC cruiserweight world champion insists that boxing authorities do not take doping “seriously enough”.

“It is an absolute disgrace that these guys are getting to fight,” the 35-year-old told BBC Radio 5 live Breakfast.

“Giving time served bans is not doing anything, Povetkin, let’s just be honest should not be even in this fight.

“It should not be even taking place but it has to and all because of governing bodies and sanctioning bodies.” Bellew said angrily.

He went on: “Mark my words, one day, it is going to happen, someone is going to die at the hands of a drug cheat.” He intimated.

Leave a Reply